First, a special invitation: please come to our Casa San José Open House! Come get to know our new home, meet other members of our community, and share some refreshments.
- Where: 2116 Broadway Ave. Pittsburgh, PA 15216
- When: Sunday, December 3, 2017
- Time: pass by anytime between 1:30 – 3:30 pm
- Give Big Pittsburgh happens on Tuesday, Nov. 28 (the Tuesday after Thanksgiving) from midnight to 11:59 pm. It's the online giving day hosted by the Pittsburgh Magazine in conjunction with the Pittsburgh Foundation. It's a great way to donate to Casa San José! Please consider us for your year-end contributions, and especially, share the link -https://www.givebigpittsburgh.com/organizations/casa-san-jose with friends and social media and anyone else that would like to support our immigrants and our work.
- Volunteers needed! On Sunday Jan. 7, the Feast of the Three Kings celebration will happen at St. Catherine's Church after mass ends at 1:30 pm. If you can help, please email Sister Valerie at email@example.com.
- The 8th Annual Friends Benefit Concert, which benefits Casa San José and Pittsburghers for Public Transit, is happening Friday, December 1, 7:30 – 10:00 at the Quaker Meeting House, 4836 Ellsworth Ave, Pittsburgh 15213. Featuring Smokestack Lightning, Penny Anderson, Chie Togami, and Sarah Bowen-Salio with Chuck Bowen, and the evergreen Raging Grannies. Donation: $15 at the door ($6 for students/unemployed). Help make a joyful noise and enjoy homemade baked goods!
- A time to thank instead of ask: in the spirit of Thanksgiving, let's directly thank our legislators who have been strong supporters of immigrant rights. Many have stood up, often passionately, for those who have been persecuted and denounced, and have demanded their just treatment. You may already know where your representative stands, but if not, here is a neat way to see what your Congressional reps from PA are saying about immigration policy. Here's another, for tweets (try searching the keyword DACA and state PA.) And here's how to contact them.
- Monica and Jeimy will speak at Supporting students of immigrant communities: a panel on the role of educators and allies. Monday, Nov. 20, 4:30 - 6:30 pm. University of Pittsburgh Center for Urban Education, Wesley Posvar Hall, Rm. 4303.
- Valeria Luiselli, a writer who was an interpreter for child migrants in the US, tells of the heartrending experiences they revealed to her and to the courts. This is an audio review on NPR of her book, 'Tell Me How It Ends' Offers A Moving, Humane Portrait Of Child Migrants."