- This Friday, October 13th at 6 pm at Central Catholic High School in Oakland to help set up for the visit of the Mexican Consulate the following day. If you can come, please email Sr. Janice at email@example.com
- SOS from Ivan, one of our Amigos, who is collecting aid to Puerto Rico - needed by this Thursday night, Oct. 12 (flying to PR on Friday.) Drop off in box outside office 7601 at Carnegie Mellon's Gates-Hillman building (map).
- Please donate old/spare duffel bags/backpacks/carry-ons that can hold 50 lbs.
- Batteries D size, to power the portable clinic that is going to be used by the medical doctor traveling with us.
- Casa San José is moving! Thursday 10/26 through Tuesday 10/31 - Just over the hill to Beechview at 2122 Broadway. And we could use your help:
- Do you have a truck or van that we could use?
- Can you drive back and forth a few times?
- Could you donate some boxes ahead of time (bankers' or boxes with handles)?
- Could you help lift and carry?
- If you can do any of these, please email Sister Valerie with details and times available - firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!!
- Also volunteer architect needed for designing a small related project: a passage door in load-bearing wall - please contact Julian at email@example.com
- PICC (PA Immigration and Citizenship Coalition, one of our partners) recently gave out some helpful "advocacy tips" which they apply to state legislators but are useful for federal and city representatives as well. Please keep calling. Our state legislators are receiving many anti-immigrant calls: we need to counteract them.
NEWS:WHO SHOULD YOU CALL?1) Mainly, your Representative (For your state representative: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/)2) Also helpful, Committee Members (For state bills and which committee they are in: http://www.legis.state.pa.us . Attached is a current list of immigrant-related bills with brief descriptions - also "priority legislators".)WHAT DO YOU SAY?1) Mainly, “I support immigrant and refugee communities. I ask you to vote against all anti-immigrant and anti-refugee legislation.”2) Great to add: a personal story or reason why you care about the issue.• You do NOT have to be an expert on the issue!3) Important: Make sure the office takes down your name and stance on the issue.
- The 4.12K Run for Casa San José on Sunday morning was a big success - 100 runners and walkers registered, everyone had a great time and the weather was ideal. Angela Wateska and her wonderful crew from 412 Resistance took care of everything perfectly, and volunteers from Bend the Arc were there with water and encouragement. MANY thanks to Angela and everyone else who helped with this event!
- The ¡Que Viva Clemente! fundraiser on Saturday was filled with people enjoying beautiful music, dance, solidaridad, and lechón celebrating Hispanic Heritage month. MANY thanks to Guillermo Perez and the Pittsburgh LCLAA (Labor Council for Latin American Advancement) which organized everything, to the many generous sponsors, and to all the volunteer helpers! ¡Que viva Clemente! ¡Que viva Puerto Rico! ¡Que viva Casa San José! ¡Que viva nuestra bella comunidad latina de Pittsburgh!
- Latest on DACA: "Why the White House Doubled Down on DACA", Jonathan Blitzer, The New Yorker, October 9.
- Recent series on Pittsburgh's WESA:
- "After DACA decision, a push to organize Pittsburgh's Latino community", Virginia Alvino Young, Sept. 20
- "With DACA's fate unclear, some young Pittsburgh immigrants hope for the best" , Virginia Alvino Young, Oct. 4
Thank you for joining us!